Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 24, 2010 - Mango Overdose

Again I started my day with my quiet time with the Lord. It's SO easy to get up early here as I absolutely love my quiet time surroundings!!! After getting ready for my day, prior to Bible study, I go into the kitchen to eat my breakfast, which is always a mango... an entire mango. They are so juicy and sweet here. I have to actually eat the mango standing over the sink!

This morning we headed off about an hour and a half away to Sagbayan Elementary school, another school for the Deaf. Joshua's mother-in-law is with us for the first time. She has been sponsoring a girl from this school for a few years now and was able to meet her! It was so exciting to be able to interpret for her that her sponsor was here. They absolutely love their sponsors! I'll often be asked by students if I know so-and-so. Most of the time I don't know them as there are so many sponsors. The student will then describe their family (from letters they have received) and tell me they live in Montana. I don't think they realize how big the US is! During our time here, we had to take a short break so the students could eat their lunch. The teachers actually provided us a lunch! They have us ube and ginger rice and mangoes... I had TWO more! Is there such a thing as a mango overdose? We had a great time at this school!

We then left, heading back to the barrio. We stopped at Calunasan Norte, a school in our barrio, about a 15 minute drive from our house. This school is normally pretty chaotic as the kids aren't very well disciplined and don't follow directions. However, this year there wasn't nearly as many students so it was so much more manageable. We had a great time! On our way home, Lindie, Joshua's wife, said there was a surprise on the side of the road. Well... the barrio fiesta was going to be starting soon, so they were skinning and gutting a pig for the roast coming up. It was pretty interesting, but I'll spare you the gory details. ;-)

Arriving back at the house, I started making dinner with Lindie: noodles with butter, Parmesan cheese, garlic toast and mixed fruit. Lindie and I didn't tell any of the team members that as we poured the noodles into the water, we then proceeded to pick out all the bugs that floated to the top of the water. Yah, ew! The bugs were dead and small, but still were bugs. Also, as we finished making the noodles, we noticed little black specs in some of the noodles... bugs again! However, what does a little protein hurt? I'm sure we've eaten worse things here without even knowing it. So... I proceeded to add a little pepper to our noodles to "mask" the little buggies that were in our meal. Hee hee!!! As we prayed for our meal, our electricity went out. And when our electricity goes out, it is PITCH dark. The moon was covered with clouds, so outside and inside the house was blackness. We ate our meal by a single flashlight, which made Lindie and I giggle more as now the little bugs in the noodles would for sure not be seen! Oh the joys of being here!

No comments: