Monday, June 28, 2010

June 26, 2010 - Lice?

So, last night while I was interpreting for Zach while he was teaching... I itched right under my hairline on the back of my neck. There was a bug there and I was able to get it under my fingernail in order to look at it. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was a lice bug. I didn't freak out because I was up in front of the campers interpreting but it did distract me and gross me out for the remainder of the night. I checked my head that night and didn't see anything so I prayed and prayed that it was that one bug and my head would be clear of any more and any eggs. Lice is something that is very common here. It's more the norm to have lice than to not. I was in a science classroom 2 years ago and they were talking about the microscope. After they took a test on the different parts of the microscope, the teacher wanted to show them what it was like to look through it. She asked the class of about 20 kids who had lice. Every single hand raised! I was just telling Lindie a few days ago that I'm surprised we don't get lice more often here as we are always hugging the kids goodbye and to taking pictures while hugging them. Lindie checked my head more thoroughly today and she found no lice and no eggs. Pray it will stay that way!

This morning I had the opportunity to teach BDA about salvation, in sign language. I absolutely love it! The students were totally engaged, answering questions, nodding and even tearing up. A few hands raised when I asked if anyone wanted to accept Christ. It's always so overwhelming when you see a student raise his or her hand to accept Christ, knowing they are making a heartfelt commitment to the Lord. Here is a picture of me teaching, signing and mouthing "God."

After the teaching we had organized court games. We played relay races in teams and then had a parachute competition. The weather was so great, but it was extremely hot out there in the direct sun. We headed into the shade and made friendship bracelets and tie dyed t-shirts. After all the tie dying was done, we had a water balloon toss and then water balloon fight. It felt so good to get wet! After lunch we enjoyed the Filipino siesta, which meant we could rest a while. We ventured out to the pool for our pool time. I typically don't swim during this time as our pool isn't too big and with 40 or so Filipinos and 15 Americans... it's a little crowded and chaotic. I hung out with some other girls talking and painting our toenails.

After getting cleaned up and eating dinner, we held our yearly talent show. The Deaf students love to dance and are really good at it. They don't care what the music is as long as it has good bass so they can feel the beat. Some students had funny skits. The Americans then performed the 3 dramas that we typically perform at the elementary schools. Between each drama I reviewed and discussed each one in length, so that they would fully understand the concept of each drama. It was an intense time as all of our dramas have very strong messages. The kids responded very well, and seemed to understand more fully what the dramas were about. At the end, I again asked if anyone felt like the sinners in the dramas and wanted to have the freedom they had after they accepted Jesus Christ's help to save them from the sin. All of the students raised their hands. I asked again if students wanted to accept Christ, to follow him, and a few students raised their hands. I love to be able to pray with them! What a great day with my friends! Thank you Jesus!

No comments: