Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bohol Deaf Academy Weekend Retreat



Wow, has it been an amazing weekend! About 40 Deaf high schoolers came to the Sunrise House this weekend to learn about Jesus and have fun. We welcomed them here Friday night with signs (paper and hand) and big hugs. We saw most of these students on Wednesday night for Bible study, but were SO excited they could come be a part of the weekend. We ate dinner, had organized game time on the court and then settled in the community room for a word from one of our team members, Jen. I interpreted her message as she did a great job! In for the night, we woke up to a beautiful, hot day. This picture is of Rosaly, one of my favorites. We met last year and she has an absolutely horrible story... yet look at her face. She loves Jesus!!


Saturday was our big day. We woke up very early and started into our day. We had more organized games (see picture to the right), including a huge, well organized obstacle course. It was so fun! I went around taking pictures to show the kids later for a slide show. We then designed t-shirts with paint, hence my new blog picture with the blue hand. After lunch came time for a siesta, which meant organizing a obstacle course picture powerpoint and a collection of weekend pictures put into a movie for the show later that night. Pool time was fun. Many of our female team members gave the Filipino Deaf students pedicures and washed and styled their hair. After dinner, another team member, Scott, spoke as I interpreted for him. After I showed the powerpoint and movie, our team and the Filipinos had a talent show. It's really like any talent show, but what was SO amazing, is these Deaf students are such great dancers! You start them off with a beat, to the music for us hearing people, and they keep the beat while dancing. They were break dancing, hip hop dancing and papaya dancing (I think a Filipino dance).


This morning, Sunday, was my time to preach (picture). I brought the word about the power of salvation. The students were really into it, answering my questions, and participating. They seemed to really grasp the severity of what sin does to us and how much it separates us from God. Along with that I taught about repentance and how, after accepting Christ, it mends the separation. It was quite a long sermon, for me, but Filipinos are used to hour, hour and a half sermons (this isn't counting worship and everything else). We then headed off to the beach... in the rain. However, arriving at the beach, the sun was out, ready for us to go play (picture). Most of the students, Americans and Filipinos, headed out in the warm, perfect blue water. Some students played link tag in knee deep water, which allowed for some serious diving. Some played chicken fight... actually I participated in this one and remember only seeing girls in this. This game I had a Filipino girl sitting on my shoulders and we were trying to get another pair or pairs of girls to fall down in the water. My partner and I took the group, we won! This afternoon is fun, but also a great time to sit one on one, or with a small group, in a comfortable setting to talk to them about Jesus. Many students fear raising their hands or accepting Christ in a larger setting, because the Catholic church always sends a "spy" to this "born-again Christian" camp. In years past, this "spy" goes back home to tell the church who raised their hand or accepted Christ. Those students, or most of them, are then persecuted physically or sexually for their decision. I've heard awful stories, but looking at those students now, am just amazed at the fruit in their lives. Some of them are now encouraging other students in their faith. Some students have help their families realize who Jesus really is. They have SO much FAITH! Because of this "spy" and the persecution these students face, we decided to have them come up and sign a book if they want prayer. They could accept Christ or get prayer for anything. At the end of the beach day, 14 students had signed up. So the team is going to BDA Monday night to pray for these students. This is so encouraging to me, as I will be with these students for 5 more weeks. I'm excited to see all the friendships that are formed.


Tonight I will sleep in the middle of the jungle, on top of a mountain overlooking the jungle running into the blue ocean. I am now sitting in an air conditioned house, typing away using their satellite wireless internet. Tomorrow, after going to our 3rd Deaf school and then to the high school to pray for the students, I will sleep on the outskirts of the city, on the BDA campus. No AC, no wireless, and currently... no food. Tuesday and Wednesday I will be at BDA watching, meeting teachers, learning about their school. I'm not quite sure what is expected yet. I won't be back at this house until Friday night, so I may not be able to check internet or blog until then.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! He is so good! You are all in my prayers, especially for the students you will pray with at BDA tomorrow! God is so good!

The Lleras Family said...

Kari, I love watching what God is doing through you...it is AWESOME! I love the book idea to possibly save those kids from persecution...wow! Thanks for sharing, to see and hear about other parts of the world through your eyes is so valuable to us! We love you!

Norm and Barb Aune said...

You are in your element. God speed and much love. DAD

Anonymous said...

wow!!! that's so awesome!! i'm honored to be praying for you. LOVE YOU!!
Jessica D.

Aaron and Jen said...

DUDE...YOU ARE AWESOME. I love reading your reports. Jen and I wish we were there with you and Josh and Lindy and the team. Maybe next year. Have a great time and rest in His arms KNOWING He is using you to touch other people's lives. What AMAZING young people over there!!!

Aaron and Jen