Friday, July 4, 2008

Loon Elementary School

Well, I'm back at the Sunrise House, Happy Fourth of JULY!!!! I haven't had internet for a few days so I'll play catch up on my blog in the next few days while I'm here. I'm excited to have AC, a semi-warm shower and filtered tap water at least for the next 4 days.



Last Monday, July 1st, we went to Loon Elementary School. This has always been my favorite school to visit for two reasons. One, the dorm father and mother are Christians which makes for such a peaceful dorm. The children are always so well behaved and have hope. Two, my first sponsor child, Iris, is there. It’s always such a joy to see her!

She is now 14 years old and in 2nd grade. Remember, IDEA found her a few years ago and two years ago was finally able to convince her family to send her to school through IDEA. Two years ago, right when she started school she enrolled in pre-school as a 12 year-old. When I asked her her name, she could tell me… but that was about it as far as conversation went. Last year I saw a huge improvement in communication and this year even more. She actually asked me questions this year. She asked about my family and my work. It was SO fun and pleasing to be able to interact with her at a more intimate level.

We did the typical games, crafts and dramas with this group. The first picture is of Iris and I. The second is of our group and the Loon Elementary School students. I’m up top right, with a light blue shirt on.

No comments: