Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wednesday, July 8th - Tagbilaran Elementary & BDA

Today was my last full day here in the Philippines... a full day, but fun and reflective as well. We started our day by going to Tagbilaran Elementary. This is the only public school on the island that has a special education and deaf program. It's not funded by IDEA, but we still visit it and love the kids and teachers there. I always visit the high school students there, as some had transferred from BDA to this school. Usually it's because IDEA is a Christian organization, and the more fruit we've seen there, parents who are opposed to Christian principles, transfer their kids to this public school. The kids are so sad, and don't want to talk about it, as they know they will get in trouble. It's SO sad!

I also took a video of a new student that I met. She is the student on the left, in the picture. She was new, 3 weeks into school, as a preschooler. She knew her name, most of the time that I asked, but nothing else. I asked how old she was, I asked which grade she was in... she only copied my signs, indicating to me that she didn't know a language, sign language. I talked with a teacher who answered my questions. Her age? 42! At least she was in school now, but wow, I can't imagine what she has gone through in her 42 years of life!

After we left, we went to ICM, the mall for the last time. Last stop for souvenier shopping! My big purchase? I got the top of my ear pierced, for $1.50. I've always wanted to do it, but the sanitary level in the PHilippines was a little frightening, but so far it's been great! We continued from here to McDonald's. Pizza Hut last night, McDonald's tonight for dinner - yikes! I think it tastes pretty similar to American McDonald's but about a third of the price. My value meal: double cheeseburger, fries, light coke was $1.75.

We then traveled to BDA for their Bible study. It was our last time to visit with the Deaf. Again I interpreted the worship and the message from Emisan, and then we had time to chat with the Deaf. It was such an amazing, bittersweet time. I was able to give Jessa and Clarise, two girls who had accepted Christ just two weeks ago, Bibles that I had found. It was a sweet time of showing them how to use the Bible and one of my favorite verses, Jeremiah 29:11-13. They read it, as I helped them sign the English, and I was able to encourage them by explaining what it meant. I love these times, but am also very sad to say good-bye for another year. These friends are so dear to my heart.

No comments: