Monday, July 19, 2010

July 6th, 2010 - Going Home

We started our day today, with our normal worship. We then discussed highlights of the trip and what the Lord taught us during our time here. My highlight: BDA weekend and the Tuesday after: students lining up to pray to accept Christ. What the Lord taught me: God answers prayer. There had been several times during the trip that I prayed for something specific. It was very evident to me, that God was listening and answered them. A few of them were very "no biggie" type prayers like asking for a cloudy or even rainy morning so that I, horribly sunburned, could help build a ramp outside without getting more burned or crazy hot. It was both cloudy and rainy, with the sun blaring as soon as we got home from the job.

We packed up our bags and cleaned our areas. We left the house at 11am, stopping by McDonald's for lunch on our way out. Arriving at the airport, we learned our flight was delayed. After two hours, we took off, praying we would make our connecting flight. Once we arrived in the Manila domestic airport, we grabbed our bags, hopped in taxis and took off to the international airport. We literally ran through the airport, arriving at our gate after the boarding time had already started, only to find out that this flight was also delayed. We waited in the gate area for almost 3 hours, now praying we would make our connecting flight in Honolulu. When we arrived in Honolulu after a 10 hour flight, most of which I slept, we were given a glimmer of hope. The flight attendants let us off the plane first, so we could make our connecting flight. However, we waited for our bags for 45 minutes, prior to running through immigration. We didn't make it. Instead, we were given food vouchers and a booking on another flight 8 hours later. What do you do in an airport for 8 hours? You leave and go to the beach! That's what we did! With our carry-on bags, we took taxis to Waikiki Beach. It turned out to be the BEST layover ever!



We didn't have our swimsuits or a change of clothes, but the beach and the water were still so inviting. I sun bathed a bit and then took a long walk down the beach, in search of a Starbucks. I remember there being one years ago and was successful in finding it. A frappacino in hand while walking the beach in Hawaii, was the best way to spend a layover!!!

After eating dinner on the beach, and going back to the airport, we continued our journey. We had a brief layover in Portland, before we arrived in Seattle, at 8:30am. I didn't sleep on the last flight, which was a red eye, so I had the entire day I needed to stay awake. After spending time with my parents, I drove home, absolutely exhausted but anticipating staying awake all day. We traveled for 39 hours and by the time I went to sleep, I was awake for 32 hours. I woke up 13 hours later, probably able to sleep longer.

Back to reality, back to responsibility. I miss my friends already. I miss the simplicity of life in the Philippines: share the LOVE of Jesus.

No comments: