Friday, July 11, 2008

Back Home... My Philippine Home

Well, I'm back at the Sunrise House in Loay, Bohol. It was SO nice to take a quick dip in the pool overlooking the jungle, take a warm shower, shave, and use the internet while sitting in an AC room. I'm taking a big, deep breath! Aaaaah! (sigh with smile) But I do very much miss the American team. It is SO quiet here, as usually I'm here with 20 or so people, where there is always something going on. I'm here by myself, which is VERY weird! I will update you on my week, but first I wanted to tell you how I even got here, it was quite an experience!

I left BDA today at 3pm, standing by the road with my backpack and purse. Big buses and motorcycles were whizzing by but I was waiting for a trike (a motorcycle cab)to take me to ICM (Island City Mall). This is where the bus depot is. I was praying that the Lord would provide a trike quickly as I was sweating profusely standing there with gnats flying around my ankles. A Deaf girl who works at BDA, in the fly tying program, came down the road and stood by me. She was also going to ICM to catch a bus to a different location. I was SO thankful because she told me that all the big buses that whizz by, that say "Tagbilarin", are ones that go directly to ICM. The next bus that came by we got on. Wow, I remember when I was in college in Cheney, not wanting to ride the bus to Spokane for classes because of the scary people on the bus. This time it wasn't so much of the people as it was the driver. It was seriously like a ride at Disneyland or something. We were literally FLYING down the road, taking corners as I halt my signing conversation to two-hand grip the seat in front of me. I was praying under my breath that the Lord would just get us there safely. It's funny how the Lord works sometimes, as I instantly look at the driver's over sized rear view mirror. It said it big red paint, "Lord you are my defender and protector... you are my God... in you I trust." I had to laugh.

Well obviously we arrived at ICM, the bus depot safely but that's not the end of my story. There's not some big climax, but it was just so interesting. I say good-bye to my friend and look for a bus that says, "Loboc" which is the town after my destination Loay. I couldn't find any buses, and that's when several men decided they would help me. I kind of felt like a celebrity as I had an entourage of Filipino men leading and following me to make sure I found a bus to go to Loay. I find a seat on the bus next to an older woman and sit down. A little while later, the bus becomes more crowded sitting 3 to a seat and even though I have a large backpack on my lap, an older man attempts to sit down beside me. So the three of us are squished into that small seat, and the bus pulls away. Several stops are made before we hit full speed again. Again, we are FLYING down the main road in Bohol, that is along the perimeter of the island. Because it was about 4, most of the houses were starting to cook their food over their open fire... which meant smoky air. Did I mention the bus does not have windows? I guess it's the free AC idea as it blows hard in your face, ;-) I was trying to pick out one distinct aroma that I was smelling as we flew... smoke from fire, smoke from the cigarette in front of me, ocean water, seaweed, diesel gas... it was definitely a distinct 3rd world country variety of smells. The man comes around asking for fare... 20 Pecos, so far my trip has cost 25 Pecos, a whopping $0.45. I verify that the bus will actually stop in Loay, as since we've left town it hasn't made a single stop. He assures me it will and as we get closer to Loay he motions to me to come up to the door. I gradually make my way through all the people and he yells to the driver, something in Visayan. As we pull up to the market, still moving quiet quickly the guy jumps out motions to me, I jump out and he jumps back on... I made it! I instantly call Along, the old care-taker of the Sunrise House who had agreed to come pick me up.

I call and assuming he'll be on his way I shop for fresh mangoes at the market and a hum bow for dinner. As I walk up near the street, I hear a whistle, it's Along. I hop on the back of his small motorcycle, with my large backpack, and we turn back to the barrio road. This road is through the jungle, rock and clay mostly, with patches of pavement. There are more "pot holes" than flat road. We go bouncing through the barrio, one hand around Along, the other holding onto the handle on the back of the seat. That hand now has a blister on it from holding on so hard. Going up the extremely steep driveway, was a challenge for this motorcycle holding both of us, but we arrived safely.

It was quite an experience, now I feel I can go anywhere, after doing that by myself! Several times I had wished my camera wasn't buried in my backpack, I wanted to document my adventure with pictures... but it wasn't accessible. Maybe when I go back to BDA Monday morning, I'll keep my camera out.

No comments: