Friday, July 4, 2008

Life at BDA


Since Monday, June 30th, I have been living at Bohol Deaf Academy (BDA). I have a little, two bedroom house in the back of the campus. There are 3 other houses back here that house the principal and other teachers. My house is reserved for guests. I will be staying here until I leave, except for this last weekend with the team. The barrio high school students will be coming up to the Sunrise House for their weekend retreat. I’ll be going back to the house to help them out.

So far this week, all I have been doing is observing teachers. I’ve made sure I’ve observed all the teachers. I’ll be meeting with administration on Wednesday of next week to talk about what I saw and ideas for me for the remainder for the four weeks I’ll be here. One interesting lesson I observed was in a Biology class. They were studying the parts of the microscope. When they were done, the teacher wanted the students to have a quick look under the microscope. So she asked the class, "Who here has lice?" Luckily, less students raised their hands than not. But the students then went to town with their lice combs, getting a louse out of the volunteer students' hair. I only observed.

Living here has been interesting. I’ve had to make a few adjustments. Another seventeen year old American girl lived here prior to me. We had one day overlap where both of us were here. When she left on Tuesday I realized how dirty the house is. I went about cleaning and have realized how important it is to leave the counters and floors absolutely spotless. Ants are EVERYWHERE! If I get any food out, I see them instantly. I eat a mango every morning for breakfast. One morning I left about a 1/8 of a teaspoon sliver of mango in the sink while I was getting ready for my morning. When I was about to leave, I realized the sink was crawling with red ants, several them working together to haul the mango. I pulled out my Raid and let them have it… then wiped them up. I didn’t enjoy that. When arriving here, I was told by the girl that she hadn’t seen any cockroaches, PHEW! But SO wrong! I killed two on Tuesday as I was cleaning! At least they are a fourth of the size of Chinese cockroaches.

3 comments:

Mister Bean said...

Always, applause for the teachers...

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the ants and cockroaches!!!

Other than that it sounds like your time there is off to a good start!

Cailyn said...

Thankfully the cockroaches aren't as big as the ones in China, or even the ones at the zoo! Do you need us to send you more RAID?