Wednesday, July 6, 2011

BDA Weekend, Day 2



I had posted Ephesians 2:8 on the white board last night, and that became the theme for the weekend. Saturday morning I decided to teach on this verse and broke it down. I explained in depth what the words 'grace,' 'saved,' 'faith,' and 'not from yourself' meant. After the teaching time, was similar to that of the previous weekend with the barrio high school students. We played an "Amazing Race" relay race game, chalk drawing contest, water balloon toss, basketball, and elephant. We had a lot of fun and the weather was beautiful and HOT!!! We decided to cool off a bit and start crafts. Again we made paper boxes and tie-dyed t-shirts.



We ate lunch, had an hour siesta, and then pool time started. That was crazy! It's not a very big pool, and with our 20 and their 60, the pool became a lot smaller. I spent my time hanging out with some girls making duct tape wallets and purses and painting our toenails.



After dinner we had a talent show. The Deaf are amazing! They are great dancers, staying with the beat... with no music. It's so fun to watch them!!! When the talent show completed, we performed our dramas. I explained both dramas before and after and really took the time to explain the Gospel message and why we were there. It was an amazing time, and 6 brave students raised their hands to accept Christ!!!!



After we closed the evening though, I had a student come up to me and ask me to talk to her. We went up on the basketball court and was followed by several other students. I ended up praying with 6 more to accept Christ!!! Some needed some questions answered, some just needed more teaching on the Gospel. I was more than willing and excited about these new believers! Lindie came down to help me and then two other students Megan Duffy and Jacob sat with a few to talk to them about how to read the Bible and pray. It was an amazing time!!! The Lord totally spoke to them and most of their faces completely changed from a fear, sadness and put-down expression to a joy-filled, love and relieved expression. One girl, Mary Ann, who I had talked with the night before, prayed and when she was done, instantly started bawling. I held her for a bit and then asked her why she was crying. She said she felt Jesus' love for the first time and was overwhelmed with emotion. They were happy tears!!! Amen!!! Needless to say, I didn't get to sleep very well that night, I was so over-joyed at the days events, and excited for another fun-filled day tomorrow.

No comments: