Saturday, July 9, 2011

Continued Service Project


We spent the morning of our last ministry day continuing our service project from the prior day. Some students bagged sand and rocks. Some went up to the preschool to do some crafts with those kids. Joshua, a few others and I stayed in the "room" to lay tile. After I figured out the confusing pattern of the 14"x"14" tiles, I became the layer of the tile after Joshua or later Bill or Megan readied the underlying concrete. It was a concrete mess because the concrete was mixed on the floor of this room, using shovels. There was no concrete mixer or wheelbarrow. It was done though and I felt we had done a good job blessing the barrio. As I'm typing this 2 days later though, my hands are peeling from the toxins in the concrete. Well worth the sacrifice I'd say!



We headed home and jumped in the pool to get cooled off. Most everyone enjoyed the pool this afternoon, as our electricity was out. This meant no showers because our water is on a well that pumps using electricity. We swam until the electricity came back on, in order to get ready for our last school. A while later we headed to Triple Union Elementary. They had around 200 students as well. They were a great school, and we had a lot of fun.


On our way home at 5:30pm, we stopped at the basketball court and provided the barrio our a "heavy snack" and our dramas. The light snack was actually dinner, rice and pancit, but if we had announced that we were providing dinner, the barrio would have thought we were going all out with a pig. The "heavy snack" was perfect. The night was great. I was able to catch up with many barrio people that I hadn't seen yet on this trip. It was a perfect ministry time to end our time here in the Philippines.

No comments: