Friday, July 8, 2011

Good Bye BDA



Wednesday, we drove in to town a little earlier. The school we were heading to is downtown Tagbilarin, in the city. It has been our yearly tradition that when we go to this school, we first stop at McDonald's for breakfast. We did just that! I was a tasty change from eating dry cereal for breakfast! Tagbilarin City Central Elementary has a large Deaf program. They have 4 different classrooms and no central meeting area for us all to move to. We played games outside for a while, until we performed our dramas there on the stage near the school courtyard. When our dramas were done and I started explaining them I realized we were completely surrounded by hearing students. We then moved inside the classrooms for the crafts. We moved one class in with another, but our craft time was still separated into three different groups. Since I have been teaching the salvation bracelets at each school, I had to teach it in one class and run to another to then teach it. It seemed like such a quick visit there because I was running around. This first picture is of Marie. She is in first grade and is 48 years old. IDEA found her in the jungle and wanted to educate her. Her parents said no for many years but then decided to send her to this school, which is not a part of IDEA. Last year, as a preschooler, she couldn't tell me her name. This year she could.



After we left we drove to ICM for our last shopping opportunity. I sat down with a Bo's coffee and people watched. I don't enjoy shopping just to shop, and having been there 4 times already this trip, I didn't need to do any shopping. We ate lunch and then headed to Tanbagan, a school near our house. We love this school in the barrio because they are so nice and well mannered. I again taught a bunch of girls and boys how to jump double dutch. We did our usual routine and then headed home for a quick dinner.


Around 6pm we headed back out to BDA. This was our last night with the Deaf. We arrived and joined them for their Bible Study. I voice interpreted for our team. We then socialize for almost 2 hours. It was REALLY hard to leave! I had some great conversations and showed a few new Christians some of my favorite verses in their Bibles that we had given them. Near the end of our time, I look across the table and saw a gal Claris, who accepted Christ 2 years ago, sharing her testimony with a 1st year student who had not yet accepted Christ. It was beautiful! The Lord showed me the fruit of our labor here. Claris has been with IDEA since elementary school and I always remember her because she has very distinct freckles. This is very uncommon for Filipinos but her great grandmother was American who had freckles too. I always called her my twin because of my freckles and that had created a bond between us. When she moved to the high school, she struggled for the first two years. When she was a third year student, she "finally opened her mind, her eyes and her heart to Jesus' love." This was what she was telling this other student. Two years ago, on our beach day, Claris boldly came up to me and asked me to forgive her sins. Because I had taught about Jesus, she thought I had to power to forgive sins, like the priests do here in the Catholic churches. I explained the difference and over time she accepted Christ and then burst into tears. She cried SO loudly there on the beach. She said she needed to be forgiven for the sin of her parents divorcing because it was her fault for being Deaf. We had a long talk and she finally realized that it wasn't her sin. Ever since that raw moment on the beach two years ago, we have had a more special bond. She also was baptized on Sunday. One of the pictures on my blog is of her and I. She was telling this story to this other gal, explaining how her heart changed and how now she is focused on the Lord and has a heart that is over flowing with joy. She referenced my teachings this past weekend several times and related it to her story. Now she travels with a group of Deaf to the elementary schools to teach those kids about Jesus. There is such amazing follow through here when students accept Christ. I am sharing this because it seems we are here for such a short time, but over the last few years, I've really seen the fruit to our labor that I wasn't able to see the first couple times coming. It was such an overwhelming blessing for me to witness Claris sharing. It made it even harder for me to leave. Tearfully I walked away, hugging all those I could. Jessa and Judith and several others tearfully asked if I could stay... oh how I wish I could! Judith asked if she could come with us, joking of course. It was a quiet ride home for me, thanking the Lord for yet another time of ministry and Him showing me why I come every year.

No comments: