Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hong Kong Day 2 - Typhoon Wins

Saturday, July 11

So now I know what Typhoon level 1 means: there is a typhoon 800km off the coast of Hong Kong - be prepared. I woke up this morning to a lot of wind. Forgetting about the warnings I saw the previous night, I continued my plans. I hopped on a bus to downtown and transferred to another to head out to Stanley Market. This was a favorite place of my mother's and mine and I was excited to see how it had built up and changed. A lot was different, including the Starbucks as you enter the Stanley Plaza, also new. I walked along the waterfront admiring that it actually had a nice walkway, worthy of calling it a waterfront. It had nice restaurants (all non-Asian) and shops facing the water... then you turn into the market. That's when it becomes a Chinese market, covered in rice bag tarp and bamboo sticks. I walked through, and that's when the start of the typhoon really hit. It was raining hard, and sideways. You had to go far into a "store" to be safe from the rain. After walking around for a while I thought, "I can't leave here without buying anything!" I thought I had gone through the entire market, and was heading back to a shop where I saw some great bowls, when I found a different jewelry shop. Well, different for this market I guess. It wasn't jade or pearl, it kind of reminded me of those silver jewelry shops in the malls and the store Fireworks. It was fun! I found some different things in there, but still went and bought the bowls too. Prior to leaving my favorite shop though, I asked them where to eat. I wanted something authentic, like Asian, noodles or dim sum. They directed me to a tea house, which I had remembered reading about. Their entire menu was dum sum and noodles. I was SO excited! I ordered sweet pork humbow, crab and pork dumplings, and banana fritters in caramel sauce. I would technically call it gorging - it was the BEST dim sum I've ever eaten - SO good!!!



I was walking out to the waterfront to take a foot picture when the typhoon wind and rain started again. I ran for cover but it didn't let up. I wound back to the front of the market, and took a lame foot picture with the market in the background prior to loading the bus back to town. The entire way back to down town it rained. I was planning on going to The Peak in the afternoon to go on a hike, and then see the night skyline which is supposed to be great when it's clear. Obviously it wasn't clear so I decided to change plans. I headed for SoHo which has the Guinness World Record for the longest covered escalator. It's supposed to have a lot of neat restaurants and variety of shops along the way that you could visit. I saw the restaurants (again, all non-Asian), but I was still recovering from my glutenous dim sum. I didn't see any fun stores, so I took the escalator the full 16 blocks up the Peak, looking at the sights of Hong Kong life as I went. Then looking down, I realized it is not an escalator but stairs, and those stairs are not covered. So much for thinking of an alternate dry activity, I got soaking wet!


Coming out of the SoHo escalators I was done for the day. That made me wet and exhausted. I made my way to Central to catch the bus, but ended up in IFC mall to use the bathroom. I thought it was ironic that I've been in three typhoons in my life and all three times, including today, I went to a mall... as did everyone else on this Saturday. It was busy! That's when I saw the sign, it was now a level 3 status typhoon. This just means it's an active typhoon and people need to use precautions when driving and such. That convinced me enough to head home. As I arrived home, the pain in my feet became increasingly more aware. I now have a blister on each foot. I guess I have walked far for two days, but I am wearing my chacos, which are my staple of a shoe during the summer. Oh well, still gotta live right? Well, I didn't get to The Peak tonight, but weather is supposed to be better tomorrow. Tonight I'm letting the typhoon win and taking a rest from the city. Last day of Hong Kong is tomorrow, the Peak will happen typhoon or no typhoon.

No comments: