Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tuesday, June 23rd - Talibon



Talibon Elementary is one of my favorite Deaf schools operated by IDEA (International Deaf Education Association) because one of the girls I sponsor, Joselle, attends school here. Last year she was 5 years old and attending school for the first time. She had only been in school a month, but had been without language her entire life. She couldn't tell me her name, her age or her grade. She didn't smile until we were leaving and she had a lollipop in hand. This year it was completely different. Right away I saw she was smiling with other kids. I went directly to her and asked her name. She told me, and told me her age and grade, smiling at the attention the entire time. I told her I was her sponsor and she beamed. She stayed close by the rest of the day.

Here's the run down of a typical schedule at the schools:
*Meet and introduce the team
*Games: Outdoor - dodge ball, kickball, tug-o-war, random field games; Indoor if raining - Fruit basket, Elephant game, 1-2-3-4 Game
*Crafts: paper airplanes, bead necklaces, tie-dye bandannas (I'm in charge of passing out supplies and rotating the groups to go out side for tie-dye)
*Dramas: David and Goliath, King of Hearts, Everything, Three
*Testimony and Prayer
*Saying goodbye: animal balloons and gift bag

Since this school was so far away, we didn't arrive until late, which means we ate lunch in between activities. The kids eat their typical mound of rice and one golf ball sized piece of meat, while we scrounged for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

At the end of our visit I pulled Joselle aside and gave her a gift. It wasn't much to me, but she pulled each item out of the bag and showed it to her friend like it was a secret treasure - so cute! It's such a blessing to support Joselle, but to actually meet her, play with her and see her academic, social, and spiritual progress. I love her smile!

No comments: