Saturday, July 11, 2009

Saturday, June 27 - BDA Retreat!
















A full day with BDA students - So excited!


As I was outside, at 5am for my quiet time, I heard the basketball bouncing on the court. Thankful that I stay in the main house, away from the noise I was curious at what time that started. Our team had our normal Bible study in the morning and then headed down to the camp with BDA. Leoni again led worship and one of our students, Natalie, led the session.


Our day activities started:

*Scavenger Hunt - We had 6 different colored teams and 6 places for those teams to find. At each place they were supposed to complete the necessary activity (climb a coconut tree, team pyramid, rock pass with spoons, 3 basketball shots, entire team crab walk, and ball pass with feet) in order to receive a part of the weekend verse. The first team to complete the verse successfully wins.
*Romans and Christians - All Deaf Filipinos where the Christians. All the Americans were the Romans. The Romans chased the Christians and if a Roman caught a Christian, they would put them in jail. In order to be freed from jail, the Christian would have to complete an activity like 10 jumping jacks or make 3 shots at the hoop. There were three locations around our complex that each Christian had to get to. They were safe zones, but they also couldn't get into the final safe house until they had been to the 3 safe zones. It's just a more complicated form of "tag".
*Water balloon toss - Each pair of people got one water balloon and tossed the balloon back and forth, taking a step back each time they received the balloon.
*Craft time - Half the group went to make friendship bracelets and the other half made tie-dye t-shirts. When they were done, they switched.

After lunch was siesta or free time. I had been preparing for my teaching time the following morning when I was summoned by some Deaf girls who wanted to talk to me outside. I went out and Emisan, Rosaly, and Antonia were all there. They had gotten off early from their fly-tying job and came up to the Sunrise House, to join in the weekend fun. I was so excited to see them and talk with them! I had seen Emisan at Bible study Wednesday, but I hadn't yet seen Rosaly, since she was at her own Bible study that night. We sat and chatted and caught up quickly.

Pool time is always fun. With almost 100 people walking around and more than half of those in the small pool, I tend to sit out. I sat with Emisan and Rosaly and we decided to paint our toenails. Emisan had painted each toe a different color and decided that I needed the same, so she painted my toes for me. They she put my hair up in bobby pins all around my head, so that my hair was off my neck. It was nice to not worry about my hair, but I'm sure it looked funny.

After dinner we performed our dramas for the Deaf. I took my time in between all the dramas to explain in depth what each one meant and hopefully relate it to them. The message for all our dramas is "Jesus is the answer." All the dramas point to having problems and issues in our life in which we struggle. Jesus is the only way to fully get rid of those problems. We just need to give our heart to Him and trust only Him.

After our drama presentation, we had a talent show. Normally this is an American show as the Deaf tend to be shy and not want to perform. But this year we had many Deaf participating in dances (with no music) and dramas. What a fun day! No snake episodes tonight either!

2 comments:

Norm and Barb Aune said...

There are "snakes" in Hong Kong, however quite different in physical resemblance. Be careful.

Love, DAD

beauty for ashes said...

Emisan! I remember you talking about her and the flytying job.. Sooo glad you got to see her again :) :)