Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday, June 28 - BDA Beach Day






This Sunday morning started off as any other day. I got up early to spend some quiet time with Jesus, as He put it on my heart to pray for the Deaf that morning. I was going to be preaching a basic message of salvation, at the same time tying it together with my testimony. My heart was burdened for them, wanting them to understand who Jesus is in my life. At 7, our team gathered and worshiped, this time in the moat room, where our voices echoed. My heart continued to be burdened for them this day and I couldn't help but cry as I pleaded with the Lord to soften and prepare their hearts for the message.


Emisan led worship prior to me preaching. I preached about Jesus' life and why he came to Earth, how my life was prior to Jesus and how drastically different it is now. It took a lot longer than that, but you get the point. It was great! The Lord was definitely speaking as I was preaching, giving me examples and scripture. At the end I asked for an alter call, asking them to think about which life they wanted to live: similar to mine prior to knowing Jesus, one focused on shame, anger, shyness, fear and depression or a life that I have now knowing Jesus, one focused on Him, joy, courage, love, and serving. Three hands went up... I felt a tug to go deeper, to explain further, so I did. One student, Jessa, had tears running down her face. Ten minutes later, I asked again who wanted to give their lives to Christ. At least fifteen hands went up - including Jessa's! I fought hard not to lose it, I was SO overwhelmed by the Lord's presence and the work He did in those kids, giving them the courage to make the decision and raise their hands, knowing there could be persecution. THANK YOU JESUS! Josh came up and gave directions about cleaning up and packing for the beach as I interpreted. As the kids were dismissed, I then lost it. I was so overjoyed and overwhelmed.


We took all the students to a public beach. This was the first time we've done this, rather than going to a resort, but it saved a lot of money. We rented 6 little huts, that had benches and long tables down the center, for people to chat, store their things, and later eat lunch. I went out in the ocean to play. Upon coming back to apply sunscreen, Zach grabbed me and asked me to interpret for him. He had been talking to Reymart, and thought he was ready to accept Christ. I asked him a few questions and discussed with him what it meant, and he was ready to go. Zach led him to the Lord, while I interpreted. Reymart beamed!!! The rest of the day, he followed Zach around with a huge smile on his face!

Walking out to the beach I saw Jessa. I asked her if her and I could talk. I asked why she had been crying. She said she had a lot of sin in her life. She wanted to accept Christ but not yet, not until she graduated (2 years later). This is common with students who know they will suffer emotional embarrassment and academic persecution from teachers and/or emotional and physical persecution from parents. If they wait and accept Christ when they graduate, they are on their own and know they can make decisions for themselves. While I didn't want to pressure her, she also shared with me issues that were not related to persecution. I told her that Jesus can take away her pain, her loneliness, her anger and all her sin. Jesus can protect her heart and can give her courage to face the persecution. She cried. We talked a long time as she cried and I held her. I cried too. She then was ready. We prayed and I thanked Jesus for a new sister in Christ. Jessa is HIS!

We joined the lunch crew... looking out at the ocean, I very much enjoyed a Garden Cafe catered lunch of rice, pancit, fried chicken, and curry. Yum!

After lunch I enjoyed the water and the beach a little more with friends. Claris walked up to me and asked if we could pray. We sat down and she instantly started bawling, loudly! I held her for a long time while she cried, but I had no idea why. I had to chuckle inside, as she was crying so loudly. My fear of people watching crept up but I had to think like Claris... she couldn't hear herself crying so loudly, so I had to do the same. When she looked up, still crying, she told me why she was so upset. Her parents had divorced because her dad beat her mom (you never hear of divorce in the Philippines, but abuse is very common). Her mom moved to Manila to work. She is living with her grandparents, when she is not at the dorms, with her younger brother. They are very old and had to work again to pay for her schooling ($8 and a pound of rice a month)and living expenses. Her brother was very mean to her, emotionally and physically, as was her father, long ago. She is not allowed to see him anymore because he has two girl friends. She felt all of this was her fault. She felt shame, anger, hurt, and unforgiveness. I prayed. She hadn't yet accepted Christ, but wanted to. We prayed together and she too became a sister in the Lord. AMEN!!!! What a day! But wait there is more!

When we were done praying, we both walked out to the beach and Joshua and I gathered all hearing and Deaf together. We had a few people that wanted to be baptized. No, not a few, 12! Those 12 lined up as Mart, the Deaf pastor, explained what baptism meant. It wasn't just a ritual that you do in the Catholic church, but it's a public announcement that you have made the decision to walk with Jesus. The 12 agreed, and one by one, walked out into the ocean to meet Mart and agree to be baptized. Among those were Rosaly, who accepted Christ 2 years ago, and her sister, Girly, who accepted Christ that morning. What a joyous day!

Afterwards, I played in the ocean with Rosaly, Girly, and Emisan. Emisan sat on my shoulders and we played chicken with others doing the same. It was so fun but hard work. We chatted out there in the ocean. Then I realize that as I was acting younger than my age, I must have pulled a muscle in my back, cause it SURE hurt! It was extremely sore that night, but it only lasted a few days. Our friends left the beach as we changed out of our swimsuits and into short, on the bus. We've never had to do that before, but the public beach isn't as nice as those resorts. We headed off to town to load up on supplies for the schools. We met at Gary (Debbie's husband) and Kristie (Lindie's sister and a good friend of mine, my roommate) at ICM, the mall outside of town. I was SUPER excited to be in the Philippines with Kristie once again! She was here my first year in 2002 and came again with me in 2003, but hasn't been back with the team since. I was so excited to spend a lot of time with her!

Heading back to the barrio, we stopped at Along and Endai's house for dinner... yes, all 30 of us & yes, they were expecting us! We ate wonderful pork adobo, sprite pork, sweet Filipino spaghetti, fruit salad, vegetable and vinegar salad, and sweet rolls. It was SO good, I had to have seconds! I think pork adobo is becoming my second favorite to pancit. I have a recipe, I need to make it!

What a splendid weekend! I shared all that happened with Kristie, as we drifted off to sleep... thank you Jesus for open hearts and your Word to sink powerfully into their hearts!

2 comments:

beauty for ashes said...

That's AMAZING!!! :) :) i LOVE to hear what you're doing for Him in Philippines!!

beauty for ashes said...

I also remember you telling me about Jessa and her previous decision to wait til graduation, but am SO glad that she went ahead and got baptized :) :0