Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hong Kong Day 3 - Kowloon and The Peak









Today was my last full day in Hong Kong. I had to get to all the places that I wanted to see today... there weren't many, as there isn't too much to do or see in Hong Kong. The first night I was here, I had ridden the ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island, but it was in the dark. I wanted to get some good pictures of Hong Kong Island sky scrapers and the ferries, in the day light. So I headed back to Kowloon via Starr Ferry. I walked around for a few hours, taking pictures, then headed back to Hong Kong Island. I was able to catch an open air double decker bus that went directly to The Peak Tram. I boarded the tram and rode at a 45-degree angle up to The Peak. Views there were remarkable. It was fun to walk around just enjoying the view. There was a wax museum inside The Peak, but I'm not such of fan of those... though I did benefit from walking near it, as they had Micheal Jackson standing there. It was a popular picture place! After I felt I had exhausted the place taking pictures, I had a few hours until sunset. I wanted to get pictures here of of the sunset as well, but didn't want to just sit for a few hours. My camera battery was close to dying though, so I decided to go back to the house I was staying since it was on The Peak as well. I was told that The Peak is within walking distance of the house so I took off on a walking trail I assumed led me near the house. Maybe it wasn't the wisest decision on my part as I felt very lost a few times, knowing I could walk back up the hill to The Peak to catch a bus down to the house. The walking trail came out on the road in which the house was located, phew! However, from that point it was a GOOD long walk to the house. I got my exercise that's for sure! I came back to the house, to charge my camera battery and rest.

When charging was done, I decided to go back up to The Peak and eat dinner up there. They had a lot of restaurants that looked interesting. I caught a bus outside the house that took me back up The Peak and I decided on a restaurant that overlooked the backside of Hong Kong Island and the harbor. It was fancy yet not too expensive. I then searched for the perfect place to wait until sunset. People were starting to gather on top of a building and I assumed from the angle, it would be a good one. I joined them and waited and waited. The sunset was beautiful, changing the buildings and water to a soft pink, it was so amazing it looked fake. Everything glowed. It was a fun night, just watching the changes of the city scape. Satisfied with the pictures, I joined the hundreds of other people waiting for the tram to head back down The Peak.

It was a fun day, but I was getting excited for my adventure in the morning. I'm going back to China! I spent the evening packing a light backpack for my adventure and looking online for things to do in Guangzhou, including directions to the 1 Starbucks - gotta get my mug!

No comments: